2.10.2010

surrounded by hearts...and snow

We've been stuck indoors a lot more than usual during this time of the year. We've had a lot more snow than I can remember in the 7 years I've lived here. And though snow is beautiful and all, I am so tired of how everything comes to a standstill, because there is not enough equipment to get the roads plowed fast enough. So we are stuck, once again, indoors.
Nos hemos pasado dentro de casa mucho mas de lo usual, durante este tiempo del año. Pues ha nevado mas de lo que estamos acostumbrados (por lo menos en los últimos 7 años que he vivido aquí). Y aunque me encanta la nieve y lo lindo que se ve todo, no me gusta de que cada vez que nieva no podemos salir porque nuestro estado/ciudad no puede limpiar las calles rápido, por falta del equipo necesario. Es que estamos en casa, una vez mas, sin poder salir.



The kids and I have been working on several Valentine projects to decorate our house and to give as gifts to family and friends.
Los nenes y yo hemos estado haciendo varios regalitos para la family y para decorara la casa para el Dia de San Valentin.

** I apologize for the bad photos. Natural light has been almost non-existing around here due to the winter storms hitting our area, and well...am also still learning how to use my new Nikon D5000. ;)
** Les pido disculpas por las fotos que salieron pésimas. No hemos tenido mucha luz natural por causa de las tormentas invernales. Y tambien, pues...todavia estoy aprendiendo a como usar mi nueva Nikon D5ooo. ;)

This is a heart garland I made last week to decorate our mantel. I got the idea from Rae's esiest heart garland (see here). She used beautiful bright colored felt. I loved it and I loved how simple it was to make. So I decided to make our own. Unfortunately I have no felt (really need to order me some) so I searched through my stash of fabrics and old clothes to see what I could use. I found a pretty wool sweater of A's that had shrunk so small even a baby would be uncomfortable wearing it and a terry cloth hooded sweatshirt I have not fit into for years. (How I miss that size 2, pre-babies.) Anyway, I free hand cut hearts out of both garments, not worrying about perfection. And because the terryclothe does fray and this particular one is quite thin, I used two for each heart, I placed them back to back and sewed a simple zigzag edge around the heart. I then sewed a simple line through all the hearts to connect them. Ta Da! A heart garland was born out of up-cycled fabric (how I love the feeling of re-using what I have).
Esta es una guirnalda de corazones que cosí la semana pasada para ponerla arriba de la chimenea. Tome prestada la idea de Rae y su super facil guirnalda de corazones. (ver aqui). Para su guirnalda Rae uso fieltro de unos colores preciosos. Me encanto y me encanto lo fácil que es de hacer. Como yo no tenia fieltro (necesito acordarme de comprar fieltro), busque algo que tuviera la textura parecida y encontré un suéter de lana (que era de A y se encogió de mas, que ni un bebe estaría cómodo usándolo) y un sudadera vieja mía echa de tela para toalla. Bueno después corte los corazones, sin preocuparme de que estuvieran perfectos. Despues junte dos corazones de los de la tela para tuallas, pues se deshilan y aparte esta tela en particular es muy delgada. Despues de juntar los corazones les cosi una linea de zigzag alrededor. Al terminar cosi una simple linea en medio de cada corazon para juntarlos y formar mi guirnalda. Y listo! Una guirnalda fue creada de materiales viejos (me encanta lo bien que se siente encontrarle vida a ropa vieja).




Yey! I really like how it turned out.
Yei! Me encanta el resultado.

On a different note, our official Mom's Night Out was suppose to be last night, and because there was a change of a wintry mixture, it was decided to cancel it. I was so bummed, because I really needed to get out. So after the forecast was changed to rain and snow until the next day, one of the mamas called me to see if we would still go out. So there you have me calling here and there to see who would go. I am so glad some mamas and I decided to take a chance and head out to dinner last night. We had a great time. I really think that when you are a stay-at-home mama you really need to try and give yourself some "me" time. I really needed it.
Cambiando de tema, ayer se suponía que íbamos a salir varias mamas del grupo de mamas que pertenezco y por causa del clima se cancelo. Estaba super triste, pues la verdad que me hacia falta salir. Es que después de darnos cuenta de que el clima iba a mejorar un poco (por lo menos por unas cuantas horas) una de las mamas me hablo a ver si todavía me animaba a salir. Claro que si! Es que ahí me ven hablando por teléfono a ver quien quien quería salir con nosotros. Por fin después de juntar a unas cuantas mamas, salimos a comer. Y que bueno, pues nos divertimos mucho. Exactamente los que necesitaba.

Yet again another note: If you have a boy or two, or more...you have to check out MADE and Made by Rae. Both Dana and Rae have teamed up to dedicate this month to ALL BOY. Yes, you heard that right, all about the boys! I am so excited, since most of the things I end up sewing/making are for my spunky A. Not any more, this time it will be all about Ri. They have such great ideas. So stop by and check them out and if you make something let me know, I would love to see it.
Cambiando de tema una vez mas: Si eres mama de un hombrecisto (o un par, o mas) tienes que pasar a checar el blog de MADE y Made by Rae. Dana y Rae están dedicando todo el mes de Febrero a los niños. Si a los niños...nada de niñas. Esto me hace super feliz, pues es fácil de encontrar miles de cosas para hacer para mi nena A, pero mi pobre de Ri casi ni le toca nada...ya no, ahora por medio de Dana y Rae estoy encontrando mas que suficientes ideas. Es que pasen a ver sus blogs, y si hacen algo me encantaría ver su resultado o si tienen nuevas ideas, pásenlas...porfa!






So what have you been up to?
Y que tanto has echo?

4 comments:

  1. aunque me gusta ver las fotos de los sitios en donde cae nieve, no me imagino cómo deber ser vivir con ese clima. Me gustó tu guirnarla! sobretodo la idea de aprovechar lo que tienes en casa!
    un beso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana- You are so very welcome Dana. And have you seen my changes? I so thank you very much for that as well.

    RosaMaria- Gracias. La verdad que si es cansado estar tanto tiempo en casa, lo bueno es que tengo mas tiempo de trabajar en mi blog. Jajaja

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty scarf that snowman has! I like your garland, too. Nice work using what you have. I could take a lesson or two on that.

    Thanks for posting about my felt pizza. That wooden set your are talking about is adorable, too! I love little play food. Especially if it's not plastic.

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I love to hear what you have to say, so leave me a comment. Let me know you've stopped by and then check back for my response. ♥ Me encanta escuchar lo que tienes que decir, es que déjame un comentario y después regresa para leer mi respuesta.