4.20.2009

Torrejas

Torrejas is a Mexican dessert type dish served usually around time of Lent. It is a bread similar to French Toast, dipped in a sweet piloncillo sauce.

After reading Maya's post on piloncillo I realized I didn't use any piloncillo in cooking yet it was something always present in my mom's kitchen while I was growing up. So I called my mami and asked her for some traditional recipes that used piloncillo as and ingredient. And then she mentioned Torrejas. No lo podia creer (I couldn't believe) I had forgotten all about Torrejas! So I decided I needed to make me some and out the door I went ready to buy some piloncillo.








That night we had Torrejas for dinner. I know not a very healthy dinner, but I was just too excited to wait for another day. My little nenes left their plates empty! It was nice to have them clear their plates without a struggle. Ha. M,m,m, se me esta haciendo agua la boca (my mouth is watering) just looking at the photos. I need to make more! This time as a dessert. De verdad (really).


The following is my mom's Torreja Recipe:
Nota: (si les gustaria leer la receta en Espanol, diganme y se las tradusco con mucho gusto).

Syrup
2 to 3 piloncillos
2 cinnamon sticks (you can find them in the same area you find piloncillo. I find it to be a lot cheaper if I buy the Mexican Cinnamon's sticks [or any Latin kind], then the ones in the supermarket spice section).
2 to 3 whole cloves
pinch of salt

Torrejas
Several Mexican bolillo rolls (or if you are in an area (like me) where there is no place to find some Mexican bolillo you can use a large French bread loaf)
2 eggs
oil to fry (I used vegetable oil)

For the syrup you need to boil about two cups of water in a large pot. Add the cinnamon sticks and continue to boil until the water turns a nice brown see-through color. Add 1 more cup of very cold water. Return to a boil. Add two or three whole cloves. Continue to boil and add another cup of very cold water. When it boils again, then add 2 to 3 piloncillos (this really depends how sweet you want it. I used only two and it was very sweet). Continue to boil until they dissolve completely. Y listo (ready).

For the Torrejas you will need to separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Beat the egg whites with a hand beater until spongy and firm. Add the egg yolks and continue to beat until they are mixed well. Cut the bolillos (or loaf of bread) into slices of about two inches thick. Dip each slice in the egg mixture and then on to a very hot pan. Cook completely and turn over. Pat the cooked pieces with a paper towel to drain any excess oil.

Serve syrup in a soup bowl add the torrejas and a disfrustar! (enjoy). Ah yes, you will need a spoon. Yum.






Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. oh my. my my my!

    that looks delicious.

    i must make that! i already know V will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is very like French Toast, a sweet breakfast food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is and very yummy! Great during those nice early spring days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy, yummy, yummy, I can't wait to have some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so GOOD! Will have to give it a try, but with moderation. Am afraid what my kids will be like after all this sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I've never heard of this! Thanks for sharing the recipe. What is piloncillo, by the way? I don't think I'm familiar with it...or at least by that name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que rico Lisa! I love torrejas. We always have them near Easter time. Definitely yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola Lisa,

    Thank you so much for posting your recipe. It is exactly how my mother in law used to make them. I am happy that now I can make them for her and surprise her--it has been a few years since she has made them for us. They are absolutely delicious.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I love to hear what you have to say, so leave me a comment. Let me know you've stopped by and then check back for my response. ♥ Me encanta escuchar lo que tienes que decir, es que déjame un comentario y después regresa para leer mi respuesta.