11.30.2009

a little bit of everything...


I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know we did. We were surrounded by loved ones and great food. And guess what? It just so happens that the day of Thanksgiving was also my B-day, yes, my B-day! And because it landed on the same day, we decided it would be nice to wait and officially celebrate until Saturday. (Of course, I did get lots of wonderful calls from family and friends wishing me the best and some even sang to me Las Mañanitas, a traditional Mexican Birthday song, that I love.)
Espero todos hayan pasado un lindo Día de Gracias. Nosotros si pasamos un lindo dia con familia y mucha, mucha comida. También ese día fue mi cumple, pero decidimos no celebrarlo hasta el sábado. (Claro que recibí muchísimas lindas llamadas de familia y amigos, y algunos hasta me cantaron las mañanitas!)

So on Saturday my hubby did it all! As part of my gift, he took care of the little ones, cleaned house (kitchen included), made me breakfast and a cheesecake from scratch! My favorite. (It was so yummy there is none left and it is barely Monday!) Then we dropped off the little ones with the grandparents and headed out on a date. We rarely have time for those, so this was a treat in deed.
El Sabado como parte de mi regalo de cumple, mi esposo se dedico a todo. Cuidar a los nenes por completo, limpiar casa, cosina, hacerme un delicioso desayuno y hasta preparme un riquisimo pastel de queso (cheesecake), que es mi favorito! Le salio buenisimo! Mas tarde dejamos a los nenes con los grandparents ( abuelos) y mi esposo y yo salimos en un date. Casi nunca tenemos tiempo de salir solos, esque fue algo como regalo para los dos.

I love birthdays like this.
Me encantan cumplaños a si.

(Thank you Honey.)


On another note. Today we started decorating for Christmas. My favorite Holiday of all. I have so many wonderful childhood memories attached to this holiday. And no, non of them are about the gifts I got (wich were plenty), but of family gatherings, train trips to visit family far away (yes back in the day there where trains still being used in Mexico for travel afar), piñatas being broken, posadas sang, attending the midnight service all tired and full, but thankful to be there... and so much, much more.
Cambiando el tema, hoy empesamos a decorar la casa para Navidad. La Navidad es mi dia Festivo favorito. Tengo muchos lindos recuerdos de viajes en tren para ir a visitar familia (en Mexico todovia se uso el tren de pasajeros hasta hace poco), romper piñatas, celebrar posadas, asistir a la misa del gallo...y mucho mucho mas.

Now my one and only wish is that when my little ones become adults, they remember the special things they did, the people they spend time with and the reason we celebrate Christmas to begin with, instead off what gifts they did or did not get. It is why I believe less is more. The less toys they get, the more they will enjoy the ones they do get. And instead of focusing on what toys they will get, I try for us to focus on the things we are making to prepare ourselves for baby Jesus birthday. I know this can be hard even for me. It can be so easy to get cought up in the buy this, buy that craze, that I often have to STOP and say, "hey, that is not what I want Christmas to be all about!" No!
Espero que cuando mis nenes lleguen a ser adultos, en ves de recordar que regalos recibieron, recuerden esas cosas especiales que hicieron, la gente que los quiere, y la razón por la cual celebramos la Navidad. Por eso creo que es mejor recibir menos regalos que de mas. A si podrán disfrutar mas esos pocos que reciban, y a la vez podrán enfocarse mas las preparaciones para la celebración del Nacimiento del Niñito Jesús. Se que esto puede ser difícil hasta para mi. Es fácil perderse uno en la locura de la temporada de estar comprando esto y lo otro, que seguido tengo que parar y recordar y decirme a mi misma, "Hey, esto no es de lo que quiero que se trate la Navidad!" No!

So I am excited to say that today I finished our Advent Calendar (with a little help of Ri and A). I can't wait to show it to you. And if the pictures I took turn out half decent ( I took them at night), I might even post a tutorial.
Es que les tengo que contar que hoy terminamos de hacer nuestro calendario de Adviento. Pronto se los enseñare, y si mis fotos salieron bien (pues las tome de noche) hasta les pondre un "tutorial" de como lo hicimos.

I have plenty on my list of things to do before Christmas arrives. I see a lot of gift making and lost of baking (I just love, love to bake during this time of year) my way.
Tengo mucho por hace antes de que llegue la Navidad. Muchos regalos por hacer y muchas galletitas por hornear (como me encanta cosinar en esta temoporada).

What are you doing to prep for Christmas?
Que tal tu? Como te estas preparando para la Navidad?

4 comments:

  1. Hola, Lisa Renata. Just wanted to pop over and thank you for your kind words and sharing your thoughts about gift giving on my blog. I read your post here and agree with you completely. Less is more! So true. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. feliz cumpleaños!!! qué bien que tu esposo hizo todo esto para la pasaras bien y luego que tuvieran un cita...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You ladies! I did have anice birthday.

    Happy Holidays to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the silhouette in your first photo - beautiful :)

    and many happy returns for your birthday (a little late :))

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I love to hear what you have to say, so leave me a comment. Let me know you've stopped by and then check back for my response. ♥ Me encanta escuchar lo que tienes que decir, es que déjame un comentario y después regresa para leer mi respuesta.