12.01.2009

advent calendar and tutorial :: calendario de adviento

Ever since I can remember our advent calendars have been the kind you buy. You know, those that come in a box with little gifts in each slot that you pull a day; or those with stickers. My favorite one was the one I got Ri for his first Christmas, it was full of mini board books. But non of these have ever been home made (not even my mom, that is the craftiest woman I know on earth, ever made one for me or my sisters). Now, I had never even thought about it, nor did it bother me at all, until I found out Ri had a peanut allergy. Then getting those boxed calendars was just not going to work for us anymore...so I had to come up with something else. At first I had considered getting one of those really nice wood ones that have little doors and you can add little somethings in each one, but then I started seeing all this really cute home made ones through out the blog world. And it hit me- WHY NOT MAKE ONE MYSELF! Duh!
Desde que me acuerdo nuestro calendario de adviento siempre ha sido de ese tipo de los que compras, que traen chocolates, calcamonias o alguna otra cosa pequeña. Uno de mis favoritos fue el que le compre a Ri para su primera navidad. Cada cajita tenia un librito para leer. Pero ninguno de los calendarios que he tenido ha sido echo a mano. (Ni mi mama que es la persona mas creativa que conosco en el mundo, nos hiso uno a mi o a mis hermanas.) Y la verdad que nunca le avía puesto tanta importancia hasta que descubrimos que Ri tenia alergia a los cacahuates, y ya no podríamos comprar de esas cajitas. Entonces tenia que buscar alguna otra solución. Al principio pensaba comprar uno de esos lindos de madera que tienen puertitas, cual puedes llenar de cositas cada cajita, pero después de ver tantos lindos calendarios de adviento echos en casa, por todos los blogs que leo, pensé- POQUE NO HACER YO UNO?!

So I did, with the help of my little elves Ri and A of course. I was originally going to make one similar to Maya's from maya*made. I loved how she used toilet paper rolls. And well, in case you didn't know, I love to use toilet paper rolls in crafts. ( You can see some here and here. ) But after searching all over the house for my stash of toilet paper rolls, I remembered I had recycled some because I had too many. Yea, bad timing here!
Pues lo hice claro, con la ayuda de mis dos duendecitos Ri y A. Al principio planeaba hacer uno parecido al de Maya's de maya*made. Me encanto que para crear su calendario uso la parte de adentro de los rollos de papel del baño. Y bueno, si no sabían a mi me encanta usarlos en mis proyectos. (Puedes ver aqui y aqui.) Pero después de buscar por toda la casa los rollos que tenia guardados, recordé que los acaba de mandar a reciclar por que tenia de mas. Si, increíble, pero cierto!

With not enough toilet paper rolls I had to come up with something else and make it with materials I had around the house...this is the end result . I hope you like it.
Con eso de que no tenia la cantidad suficiente de rollos, tuve que pensar en otra manera de crear un nuevo calendario usando los materiales que tenia en casa...este fue el resultado. Espero les guste.


Here is the tutorial if you would like to make one similar. Let me know if you do. I would love to see yours.
Aqui les paso el tutorial si gustan aser uno paresido al mio. Dime si lo haces, pues me encantaria verlo.

(Sorry for the bad photos. I took them indoors and at night. Bad, bad, lighting.)
(Disculpen si las fotos salieron mal, pues las tome de noche y adentro de la casa no tengo muy buena luz.)

Materials and Tutorial :: Materiales y Toturial

*6 sheets of 8.5" x 11" red cardstock :: 6 hojas de 8.5" x 11" de cartulina dura
*2 sheets of 8.5" x 11" white cardstock or paper :: 2 hojas de 8.5 " x 11" de papel blanco o cartulina dura
*stamp :: una estampa navideña
*ink :: tinta para estampar
*craft scissors :: tijeras para cortar orillas con diseño
*glue :: goma
*number stencil :: una gia para trazar numeros
*black marker/pen :: un marcador negro o pluma
*sewing machine :: maquina de coser
*18" long-thin stick (about a 1/4" thick) :: un palo delgado que mida 18" de largo y como 1/4" de grueso
*paint (optional) :: pintura (opcional)
*brushes (optional) :: brocha para pintar (opcional)
*ribbon, lace or trim :: liston o encaje
*3 very small buttons :: tres botones pequeños
*clothes pins :: ganchos para secar la ropa.



1. Cut each sheet of red cardstock into four rectangles of 51/2" x 41/2". (I just folded the paper in four and then cut.) You should have a total of 24 rectangles.
Corta la cartulina roja en cuatro rectangulos de 5 1/2" x 4 1/2". (Yo doble el mi en cuatro y luego la corte.) Necesitas 24 rectangulos en total.

2. Fold each rectangle length wise in half.
Dobla cada rectangulo a la mitad.


3. With the white cardstock or paper, cut 24 strips of 1 1/4" with x 4 1/4" long.
Con papel cartulina o papel regular, corta 24 tiras de 1 1/4" ancho x 4 1/4 de largo.

4. Stamp each strip with snowflakes or what ever Christmas/winter stamp you have. You can also whole punch the strip.
Sella cada tira con tu estampa favorita navideña.

5. Using craft scissors, cut the ends (length wise) of the top and bottom of each strip.
Usando tijeras con diseños, corta a lo largo (arriba y abajo) de cada tira blanca.

6. Glue the white strip near the top of the folded red cardstock rectangle.
Pega la tira blanca en la parte de arriba de la tarjeta rectangular doblada.

7. Using a stencil, number stickers or by free-hand, number each card (on the center bottom of each card) from 1 to 24.
Usando una guia, calcamonias de numeros o echo a mano, dibuja un numero (del 1 al 24) en la parte de abajo de cada tarjeta.


8. Sew with a zigzag stitch the left and right side of the card, leaving it open on top.
Cose con la puntada de zigzag el lado derecho e izquierdo del sobre, dejando la parte de arriba abierta.

(I continuously sew mine, so at the end little Ri had to cut the thread to separate each card. That's a great way of saving thread.)
(A mi me gusta coser continuamente, es que al final Ri me tiene que ayudar a cortar el hilo para separar cada sobresito. Esto me ayuda mucho a ahorrar mas hilo.)


9. Cut your ribbon, trim or lace into three 35" long strips. Then fold one end about an inch and sew a button on the opposite side of the fold.
Corta el encaje o liston en tres tiras de 35". Despues dobla cada punta como una pulgada y cose un boton al lado contrario del doble.


10. After you have all three strips of lace ready, slide each one onto the stick (that you would have painted before hand. You can also leave it natural. I just so happen to already have this one painted from a previous project.)
Despues de terminar de coser los botones, deslisa cada encaje en palo (cual habras pintado antes. Pero tambien lo puedes dejar del color natural. Yo ya tenia el mio pintado, por que me sobro de otro projecto.)


11. Even out each strip of lace. Then tie thin ribbon or rope to each end of the stick. Your will use that to hang your advent calendar.
Asegura de que cada encaje este separadao por igual en el palo. Despues amarra con un nudo un liston delgado o mecate en cada punta del palo. Esto servira para colgar el calendario.


12. With clothes pins clip each of your pockets to the ribbon. Hang eight per strip. (...and yes, incase you did notice, I do have 25 on mine. Yup, I have no idea what I was thinking. I made sure to get that one off before we started today. Ha!)
Con ganchos para colgar la ropa cuelga cada uno de los sobres en el liston o encaje. Ocho por encaje. (...a si, en caso de que ya hayas notado el mio tiene 25. Si, ni tengo idea de que estaba pensando, culpare al sueño (ha!) pero me asegure de quitarlo hoy a primear hora.)


You are done. You can fill each pocket with what ever you like. We filled ours with little activities for the kids (and us) to do each day. Today we opened the first one. It said: "Hug each person in the house." =)
Listo. Puedes llenar cada bolsita con lo que se te antoje. Nosotros las llenamos con papelitos indicandonos diferentes actividades que los nenes (y nosotros) tendremos que hacer cada dia. El de hoy decia: "Abraza a todas las personas en casa." =)

(I just had to show you this photo. Ri cut the white strip on number 21. I love the crooked little curves. Too cute!)
(tenia que enseñarles esta foto, me encanta como Ri corto las curvitas medio chuecas. Me encantan!)


Check out these other blogs with great advent calendar ideas. Salt and Chocolate and Kids Craft Weekly.
Visita estos otros blogs con buenisimas ideas para calendarios de adviento. Salt and Chocolate y Kids Craft Weekly.

nota: no se que paso con mi diccionario electronico, pues no pude continuar corrigiendo mis errores escritura. Espero me perdonen, pues tengo malisima ortografia. =(

7 comments:

  1. so so so so cute! i can imagine making this with fabric instead of paper too.

    it's all ready almost the third and i have no advent calendar! :( maybe i can get started early for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!! Lisa might be able to get more of that Snow White fabric....just convo her! She is always looking around...if she says she'll get more I'll buy some too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a great advent calendar and such a simple design - I love that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola! q lindo el calendario de adviento!

    Esta muy bonito tu blog, voy a estarte siguiendo, yo tengo un blog bilingue de cupones y ofertas, thecouponchica.webs.com

    Ojala puedas visitarme, y talvez poder ser amigas!

    Saluditos,

    Denisse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was a lot of work!! Very cute! And thanks for the comments on MADE. If you try the wreath with wooden beads, PLEASE send me a photo. I'd love to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for the lovely comments.

    Ashley- I did convo her and she can get more. I'll let you know!

    Maya (springtree)- I also think this would look great in fabric. Might just do that for next year that way we have a permanent one. If you start now...you will get yours ready for next year! =)

    Dana- I'll be taking a trip to a local shop to pick up a little more things I need to finish up some project. I'll make sure to add "beads" to my list. I'll send you a pic if I ever get to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gracias por el tutorial!!! tu calendario está más que padrísimo!

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I love to hear what you have to say, so leave me a comment. Let me know you've stopped by and then check back for my response. ♥ Me encanta escuchar lo que tienes que decir, es que déjame un comentario y después regresa para leer mi respuesta.