9.07.2009

addiction II :: adiccion II

Did you think that was all the fabric I got a hold of on my last trip to CA? Oh, no. You just wait and see...
:: A poco creías que esas eran todas las telas que me traje de California? O, no, claro que no. Ya veras...


Yes, this and more! There is no way I can go to CA and not take a trip to my favorite Swap Meet (Flea Market for those on the East Coast). Drive in Mission Swapmeet in Montclair. There I can find row after row of wonderful fabric at such great deals, that really it just makes it hard for me to go buy elsewhere. So every time I am in town my mom knows that one Wednesday (the day you will find the most fabric vendors) out of my trip, we will rise early, lather ourselves with tons of sunblock and fill bottle after bottle with water and head out fabric shopping. I love it! I love walking through the rows of fabric vendors. They are full of color. And the deals! Oh my, the deals! I can find great fabric for a dollar a yard. Seriously! And if you are a regular, like my mom, they will throw in some free fabric here and there. I mean, how can I resist.
:: Estas y muchas mas! La verdad que no hay manera de visitar a mi familia en California y no pasar por mi lugar favorito para comprar telas. En el Drive in Mission Swapmeet de Montclair, encuentras todo tipo de telas a tan buen precio que se me hace difícil gastar mi dinero en otra parte. Es que mi mama ya sabe que cada ves que la visite uno de los miércoles (el día para encontrar la mejor selección de telas), madrugaremos, nos cubriremos de crema para protección al sol y llenaremos botellas de agua y saldremos hacia el swapmeet (es tipo tianguis). Me encanta! Me encanta caminar por todas las hileras llenas de telas, botones, cierres, encajes, y mas. Todo se ve tan colorido y alegre. Y no nada mas eso, si no que los precios están super. Puedo encontrar telas hasta un dolar la yarda. Enserio! Y si vas seguido como mi mama lo suele hacer, asta te relagan pedazos de tela. La verdad ni como resistir!

The next best place to go shopping for fabric in Southern CA...The Fabric District in Los Angeles! I don't go there as often unless I am looking for something specific (like when we were searching fabric for my sister's wedding or when I bought the fabric for my own wedding gown...yes, I made my own gown! Very proud woman here!!!) Now the fabric district has everything and anything you might be looking for. From buttons to lace.
:: El segundo lugar mejor para comprar telas en el Sur de California es el Distrito de las telas en Los Angeles. No voy muy seguido, apenas de que este buscando algo especifico (como cuando buscamos telas para la boda de mi hermana, oh cuando compre la tela para mi vestido de novia. Si yo me lo hice. Super orgullosa eh!!) En el distrito de las telas encuentras de todo y lo mas reciente. De botones a encajes.

By the way...I also managed to take some vintage kids patterns from my mom's collection. I gotta take pictures of those...they are adorable!!!
:: Ah....también me traje de la casa de mi mama unos cuantos patrones antiguos para ropita de niños. Luego les tomo unas cuantas fotos. Estan super!

Now do you understand why it is hard for me to shop at places like Joann's or Hancock Fabric's. Unfortunately, sometimes I do visit those stores (like just last week when I was looking or some fabric for A's curtains), since those are really the only places to shop around here. How I wish I could find a great fabric store where I live! Do you have a favorite fabric shop/place?
:: Ahora entiendes porque se me hace tan difícil gastar mi dinero en lugares como Joann's o Hancock Fabrics. Desafortuandamente hay veces que si tengo que comprar telas ahí (como la semana pasada cuando necesite mas tela para las cortinas para el la recamara de A). Como me gustaría encontrar un buen lugar por donde vivo donde vendan buena selección de telas a buen precio! Que tal tu? Tienes algún lugar favorito para comprar telas?

2 comments:

  1. Hola, Lisa!
    Addicted? I remember those days, scouring through the small fabric stores in Downtown LA, really the best place ever to find wonderful fabrics. My favorite store was a mom and daugther-run store just off of 9th street.
    Cheap fabrics, incredible style!
    You made me want to get my sewing machine out again. but what would that do to my cooking?
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what about the callejones to get the latest trends for cheap? I use to love those!

    and NO, please don't stop with your delicious cooking, NEVER. You are my to go to girl when ever looking for some yummy Mexican food recipes to cook (after my dear mami of course).

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I love to hear what you have to say, so leave me a comment. Let me know you've stopped by and then check back for my response. ♥ Me encanta escuchar lo que tienes que decir, es que déjame un comentario y después regresa para leer mi respuesta.