5.24.2010

Miami and being a Latina mami

This was the first time I left the little ones. It wasn't easy. But as my sweet hubby said, "It is good for you and it is good for the kids." You see, they always travel with me, no matter where I go, what I do they are there. So when I got invited to the relaunch of the website Que Rica Vida of General Mills, I wasn't sure whether to go or not. I did. And I am so glad.
Esta fue la primera vez que dejo a mis nenes. No fue nada fácil. Pero como mi querido marido dijo, " Este viaje es bueno para ti, y para los nenes." Pues les cuento que ellos siempre viajan con migo, a donde valla, ellos ahí están. Es que cuando me invitaron al relance de la pagina web Que Rica Vida de General Mills, no estaba muy segura si ir. Al ultimo si fui, y que bueno que lo hice.

Not only did I enjoy my stay at the Hyatt right in the middle of the city, visited South Beach, did a little unexpected shopping at Bayside Marketplace (more on that later), attended the event and met some Latino celebrities like Karla Martinez and Angelica Vale, visited a couple of low key bars/restaurants, but (the best part) I got to meet a lot of Latina Bloggers. There were about 30 of us. Some where new faces to me and others I had met through our blogs, but never had actually met in person. So when I did, it was incredible. It was as if we had known each other for ever. I guess that's the beauty of a blog, as you read them you get the feeling you know the person behind the blog. And for the most part I was not disappointed. The ladies I met were much like their blog. Some funny, others sweet as can be. Some have huge blogs with tons of readers, others have small quaint little blogs like mine. All were so very intelligent.
Pues no solo disfrute de mi estancia en el lujoso hotel Hyatt en el puro centro de la ciudad, camine por la linda playa de South Beach, hice algunas compras inesperadas en Bayside Marketplace (mas acerca des esto), asisti al evento y conosi a algunas celebridades como Karla Martinez y Angelica Vale, visite algunos lindos bares y restaurantes, pero la mejor parte es que conosi a muchas blogeras Latinas. Fuimos como unas 30. Algunas de ellas las conosi por primera vez y muchas otras ya las conosia por medio de su blog, pero nunca las havia visto en persona. Es que cuando por fin las conosi, fue increible. Fue como si ya las conosiera desde hace años. Creo que eso es una de las cosas lindas de los blogs, que al leerlos, uno siente una coneccion con la persona que lo escribe. La verdad que no me desilusione para nada, pues las chicas que conosi son muy parecidas a su blog. Unas super chistosas, y otras super tiernas. Algunas ya tienen unos blogs grandisimos con muchos lectores, y otras tienen blogs mas íntimos y pequeños como el mio. Pero una cosa si, todas, todisimas son super inteligente.

Being around them (and being in Miami) was like being around family. Language flowed so beautifully from English to Spanish and back. We shared about our goals, family and being Latinas. We had fun. I had fun! But at the same time, this is exactly what made me miss my family, the language and the food like crazy. Where I live there aren't many Latinos. I'm not complaining, I love it here and I think it is a great place to raise my kids, but I do wish we were surrounded more by Latin cultures, my culture. And not necessarily for my sake (though I would love it) it is more for my kids. It would be nice for them to be able to experience the beauty of the culture they are part of. Not just through my cooking, and reading and speaking to them (which I do), but for them to experience visiting the abuelitos (grandparents) on the weekends, family getting together, having a party, dancing, eating, and SPEAKING in Spanish with them. They only get to experience that once, maybe twice, a year. It is not enough.
Pasarme el tiempo con ellas (y en Miami) fue como pasarme el tiempo en familia. El idioma fluía tan lindo del ingles al español y de vuelta al ingles. Compartimos acerca de nuestras metas, familia y el ser Latina. Nos divertimos. Me divertí! Pero al mismo tiempo esto mismo fue lo que iso que extrañara a mi familia, el idioma y la comida como nunca. Donde vivo no hay mucho latino. No me estoy quejando, me encanta aquí, y creo que es un gran lugar para crear a mis nenes, pero a la ves me encantaría que estuviéramos rodeados de mas diversidad. De mi cultura. Y no precisamente por mi (aunque mintiera si les digo que no me encantaría), pero me gustaría mas que nada por mis nenes. Seria bonito que ellos conocieran mas a fondo de la cultura que es parte de ellos. Y no solo por medio de lo que cocino, de lo que les leo, o de lo que les cuento y hablo en español (cual hago todos los días), pero también me gustaría que pudieran visitar sus abuelos cada fin de semana, compartir con la familia en grande, salir a las fiestas, bailar, comer, y los mas importante poder hablar y practicar su español con ellos. Des afortunadamente solo les toca vivir esto una o dos veces al año. No es suficiente.

I apologize for my ranting. This happens to me every time I visit family (in this case, Miami and lost of wonderful Latina bloggers). Normally, it just passes by and I go on with my life as a mami raising my kids bilingual out in the boonies. But this time somehow it has struck hard, especially after Ri responded the other day, "Mami, yo no se (I don't know), it is too hard to speak in Español (Spanish)."
Perdonen por ser tan melancolica. Pero esto suele suceder cada ves que visito a mi familia (en esta caso, Miami y las maravillosas blogeras). Normalmente se me pasa a los dias, y sigo mi vida de mami, criando a mis hijos bilingue, acá lejos de todos. Pero esta vez, se me ha echo mas dificil dejarlo todo atras, mucho mas todavia despues de que Ri me dijo el otro dia, -Mami, yo no se, it is too hard to speak in (es muy difícil hablar en) Español.-

Are you raising your kids bilingual? Do you ever feel this way? I would love to hear what you have to say.
Estas creando a tus nenes bilingue? Alguna vez te has sentido igual? Me encantaría saber que tienes que decir al respecto.

On the mean time I leave you with some photos of my trip. Enjoy.
Por lo tanto los dejo con fotos del viaje. Disfruten.

Down Town Miami :: El Centro de Miami:

(the view from my room :: la vista de mi cuarto)

(the view from Bayside Marketplace :: la vista de Bayside Marketplace)


Getting to know each other :: Conosiendonos:



Que Rica Vida media dinner ::
Cena de Que Rica Vida para la prensa:





Breakfast with Todobebe charming host Jeannette Kaplun :: Desalluno con la encantadora Jeanette Kaplun de Todobebe. :


South Beach:



Que Rica Vida media event :: Evento de Que Rica Vida:



(A brave mami blogger sings with the mariachi :: Una amiga blogera canta con el mariachi. )
(See here:: Ver aqui.)



(Angelica Vale and me :: Angelica Vale y yo)

Miami at night:: Miami de noche:


Have a nice weekend. :: Que tengas un lindo fin desemana.

16 comments:

  1. You're right, it did felt like visiting family! It was soooo nice to meet you in person Lisa. Glad you decided to travel!

    And thanks for trading lenses with me. I love the pictures I got! I'll share soon I'm editing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great meeting you... my only regret was not spending more time together.

    Great post and grateful you decided to go.

    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I loved meeting/hanging out with you. And loved how we met, sitting at the press-only table - you made me feel so comfortable, so I was very glad you were sitting next to me! I hope you do make it to BlogHer - would love to hang out again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me dio mucho gusto conocerte!!
    Saludos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, it was a pleasure to meeting you in Miami. Eres muy linda persona.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Por fin te conoci amiga... (:

    I can't wait for us to see each other again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved our talks and getting to know you as such an authentic and real person. We need to do it again!

    I totally feel what you wrote. Although I live in LA and am surrounded by Spanish speakers (and great amigas like Dariela, Liz and Silvia!) I lack the family connection. It's especially hard now that I'm a mother because I want her to know what an Abuelita is for real! Not someone she gets to see once or twice a year and regularly through Skype.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a great view, too!

    I didn't know you before meeting you in Miami but you're one of my favorites (shh!) :)

    I love your personality and I'm glad we don't live too far apart so we can get the niños together this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pictures! Look how happy everybody looks.

    Lisa, it was a wonderful thing to meet you in person. You are a doll.

    Carrie at Tiki Tiki Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola, me encantó tu post.

    Me siento identificada porque yo también tengo peques, y hasta último momento no sabia que hacer, pero mi familia y especialmente mi esposo me alentaron para que fuera.

    Y que bueno que así lo hicimos!!!

    Lástima que no pudimos hablar más, aunque creo que nos cruzamos varias veces....un gusto de todas formas.

    Saludos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chicas, thank you for all your wonderful comments. It really was so nice to meet all of you and can't wait for the next opportunity to meet up again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. parece que fue unba experiencia padrísima, me da mucho gusto por ti!! gracias por compartirla, un abrazo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought I left a comment on this post..must of gotten distracted by the chiquitos!!!

    I love your pictures, I loved meeting you and love having you as a friend!

    You got some great shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm raising my daughter bilingual and it's very hard because I'm the only one that speaks Spanish in my home and I feel like I've lost a lot of my Spanish. I do the best I can, but I wish my family was around to help. My daughter loves hearing people speak Spanish.

    The Que Rica Vida event was wonderful. It was great to meet so many blogger. I really did feel like I died and went to Latina Blogger heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that sounds like fun! :) you know, we used to live in west palm beach - i miss how pretty it is down there.

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I love to hear what you have to say, so leave me a comment. Let me know you've stopped by and then check back for my response. ♥ Me encanta escuchar lo que tienes que decir, es que déjame un comentario y después regresa para leer mi respuesta.