6.11.2010

strawberries :: fresas



My freeze is full of them, in separate little freezer bags ready to be transformed into a nice cold smoothy.
Mi congelador esta lleno de ellas, guardadas en bolisitas listas para transformarlas en un rico licuado.

This strawberry season at one of the local orchards was just great. The strawberries- red and sweet as can be. Yum!
Esta temporada de fresas en una de las huertas locales fue muy buena. Las fresas- rojas y super dulces. ¡Rico!

For the first time I tried making my own freezer jam. I used the recipe from the Ball recipe book. Let's see how they turn out. I'm still a bit of a chicken when it comes to canning. I have everything to do it, I just get scared and end up freezing instead. I guess I better get the nerve soon, because our backyard is full of tomatoes, chiles, peppers and much more and soon enough they will be ready for us to enjoy and for me to CAN!
Por primera vez de hacer mi propia mermelada para congelar. Use la receta del libro de recetas Ball. A ver como me salen. Todavía me da miedo de enlatarlas en vapor. Y les cuento que tengo todo para hacerlo, pero me da no se que. Tendré que tratarlo pronto pues nuestra huerta en el jardín esta repleta de tomates, chiles, pimientos y mucho mas y cuando menos lo espere estarán listos para cosechar, saborear y para ENLATAR!

The kids helped. Can you tell? Gotta love those upside down labels. And just in case you didn't know already, I found out that it is great to use the egg slicer to slice the strawberries. Seriously it is so easy that Ri was able to help me. I would just cut off the stem and he would do the rest.
Los nenes me ayudaron. Notaron? Me encantan como pusieron las etiquetas todas chuecas. Y por si no lo sabían, descubrí que el rebanador para huevos es perfecto para también rebanar las fresas. Enserio, es tan fácil de usar que Ri me pudo ayudar. Yo les cortaba el tallo a las fresas y el cortaba lo demás.


Of course after all that hard work we had to have a nice cold smoothy.
Y claro que después de tanto trabajo terminamos con un rico licuado.

There are millions of ways you can make a strawberry smoothy. Alone or combined with other fruit friends they always taste great.
Hay un millon de maneras de como hacer un licuado de fresa. Solo o ya sea combinado con alguna otra fruta, siempre saben riquisimo.

Here is a quick recipe of the one we made the other day.
Aquí, una receta sencilla del que hicimos el otro dia. (ver abajo de la receta en ingles)


Strawberry Banana Smoothy
2 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries.
1 nice ripe banana
1 cup of organic vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup of organic milk (2%)
1 to 2 tablespoon of honey

Licuado de Fresa con Plátano
2 tazas de fresas frescas o congeladas.
1 plátano bien maduro
1 taza de yogurt organico de sabor a vainilla
1/2 taza de leche organica (2%)
1 o 2 cucharadas de miel

Blend all well together and enjoy!
Licuar todo junto y a ¡disfrutar!

YUM!
¡QUE RICURA!

What's your favorite smoothy?
Cual es tu licuado favorito?

7 comments:

  1. I made strawberry freezer jam a few weeks ago. I used the recipe from Make and Takes website.

    http://www.makeandtakes.com/strawberry-freezer-jam

    We have already dug into two of the containers. They made a great ice cream topping too. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum!!

    my fave smoothie is:

    spinach, banana, almond milk first. blend it really well so that the spinach is chopped into little flecks.

    then frozen mixed fruit that must have pineapple in it - usually strawberries, mangoes, pineapple, peaches. also blueberries if i have them.

    it's not pretty, but it's yummy. you don't taste the spinach at all. :)

    i also add ground flaxseeds too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe and yummy photos :) ... We usually do banana smoothies here.

    I've also wanted to try canning but I'm worried I'll do it wrong, I guess. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Crafty Chick, thanks, I'll check it out.

    @Maya. I also love to add flax seeds to mine, thought I did not do it in this particular case. I also love it in pancakes and many other things.
    I will definitely have to try your recipe. btw- do you use fresh spinach or cooked spinach?

    @SraLopez, well maybe we need to get together and try it at the same time. Give each other some moral support. Jajaja a ver si no nos enfermamos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love strawberry preserves, Delicious smoothie! I have enjoy reading your blog.

    Un saludo : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love strawberries, too, and usually use that as a base for our summer shakes. We usually throw in whatever else we have on hand, like bananas, peaches, a cup of milk and juice (apple, mango, or orange.)

    My sister-in-law is a master jelly maker and I hope I get to learn from her someday!

    Thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since the pregnancy, I've been making lots more smoothies, especially since my baby girl loves making them with me. We love strawberry banana too, but I like mango smoothies the best.

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I love to hear what you have to say, so leave me a comment. Let me know you've stopped by and then check back for my response. ♥ Me encanta escuchar lo que tienes que decir, es que déjame un comentario y después regresa para leer mi respuesta.